Wednesday, February 29, 2012

MAYA ANGELOU


From the first time I heard a poem by Maya Angelou to now, I have been intrigued by Angelou’s writings. She is truly a gifted writer. Her poems can tell a story like no other. They are filled with her pain, happiness, strengths, weaknesses, sacrifices, vulnerabilities, sass, humor, honesty, and growth she has experienced and developed throughout her life. She knows who she is and is not afraid to show it.
I gain wisdom and empowerment as a black woman when reading her poems. For example, her poem “Still I Rise” gives empowerment because she’s pretty much saying no matter what you are trying to do or have done you will not keep her down. She will persevere. She’s proud of who she is. She even shows cockiness by saying
Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.”

            Maya Angelous’s poem “ Phenomenal Woman” encourages women everywhere to have confidence in themselves and to be proud of who they are. She says

“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.”
Her sassiness and humor in this poem really caught my attention. She exposed her ego without being outrages.

“I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.”
     Maya Angelou is my favorite writer. I will always read her poems. Maybe, one day I will be able to write almost as well as her. She inspires me as a writer and woman. I encourage everyone to read her poems. They will be enlightened and pleased with what they read.


No comments:

Post a Comment